Martina's MET Gala Top Picks



Hello all! With the Met gala come and gone, Gustavo and I thought it might be a great idea to share with you all our favorites from this year’s Met gala. With this year’s theme being Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination it was bound to be a controversial show of fashion from all of our favorite celebrities. I had five favorites in particular and have ranked them below from most favorite being number 1 and so on. Be sure to let me know what you think and if you had favorites that maybe we didn’t cover!

No. 1


Blake Lively’s Atelier Versace gown may go down as one of my personal favorite pieces of fashion that I have seen. The rich shade of ruby red fabric and ornate beadwork and embroidery took over 600 hours to complete. As if the gown itself wasn’t immaculate on its’ own, Lively wore $2 million dollars’ worth of Lorraine Schwartz jewelry and her headpiece include 30 champagne diamonds. It was perhaps my favorite because of its close ties to the theme of this year’s gala. It represents the tie that religion and fashion have to one another. It also fits the opulence that is the Met gala and what we come to expect from celebrities.

No. 2


Lana Del Ray and Jared Leto were my second favorite of the group as well. This to me hits the nail right on the head for this theme. Gucci nailed the garments on both of them. The embroidery to me is exquisite and rich as well as the color palette. The finishing touch was the headpiece on Lana’s head as well as the swords chest plate on her head. They gave that air of heaven itself and the spiritual paradise. Dare I say that Jared Leto even looked like the divine man himself?


No. 3




Stella Maxwell in Moschino was also a favorite of mine for the evening. I loved the literally representation of divine figures depicted on her dress and thought it looked opulent and rich looking even though it was a simple sheath dress. What is even more impressive to me is the amount of beadwork that went into this dress and I can only imagine how heavy it is! This looks like a replica taken from a old world catholic church.


No. 4




Rihanna was perhaps one of the most controversial celebrities of the Met gala due in part to her choice in fashion. I on the other hand disagree with most negative feedback that has been circulating. I personally appreciate what was done in this whole look. This gave Rihanna a look that fit the theme of the gala but also gave Galliano the ability to express his own creative freedom and to add his own personal touch to the look that referenced his look that he wore when walking out on the runway at a Dior show that he designed when still working for Dior. I think it also represents him in the sense of the luxury in clothing that he creates with the look being completely encrusted in pearls and crystals.



No. 5 




I also truly enjoyed Sarah Jessica Parker’s look. The gold reminded me of the grandness of ornate old world catholic churches with this embroidery. It was elegant and ornate and fit the theme beautifully. To top it all off the headpiece was stunningly elegant. Quite frankly I don’t think SJP has ever let us down with her choice in fashion.



Remember to let us know what you think and tell us which were your favorites. 

Comment. Like. Subscribe. 



Comments